11.03.2006

Life's Annoyances, Part 1

First in a series.

Why is it that some mobile phone carriers (I'm looking at you Verizon Wireless) insist on making you listen to a 15 second spiel before you can leave a voice message? Somehow we got by for years with answering machines that said, "I'm not home right now, please leave a message after the beep...<beep>". Straightforward and efficient.

Now, after I wait for the phone to ring 12 times--just in case it's in a combination safe underneath a sofa rather than in a pocket--I spend a quarter minute of my life I'll never get back hearing again about all my wonderful choices in case I didn't actually want to just leave a message. Maybe I'd like to leave a callback number. Maybe I'd like to hear more options after I leave a message. Maybe I'd like to send electric shocks into the eyeballs of whatever moron decided that they'd make literally millions of people listen repeatedly to a message that maybe four of them will ever use. Oh, I guess that's not an option.

Sprint nicely lets you work around this by pressing 1 as soon as the prerecorded message starts. I haven't found a similar trick for Verizon. Maybe it exists, but systems like this shouldn't be designed so that only through esoteric knowledge can you make them work the way they're supposed to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you - that is so annoying - its funny, I thought the same thing last night. Don't worry, soon it will be ads.

"Hi you've reached Woodfinish please leave a message. {enter deep female sultry voice} This message was brought to you by Verizon and Longs Hot Dogs {enter jumpy, enthusiastic male voice} Try Long's Hot Dogs - for a long good time!

{enter deep female sultry voice} To leave a call back number press one, to makr importance of message press 45 to hang up press #, otherwise wait for the beep.

This beep is brought to you by Zeus Powder. For the mighty powder, trust Zeus Powder.

Beep.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a conspiracy to eat up our cell phone minutes. They sit there with unbridled anticipation waiting for the counter to roll over to the next minute of call-time. Damn you Verizon!

Anonymous said...

For thos who like esoteric systems...

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/10/27/money-saving-keystrokes/