11.08.2006

Life's Annoyances, Part 2

Second in a series.

OK, so let me start by saying that I don't hate bicyclists. Some of my best friends are bicyclists. Everyone on the road should do everything they can to keep the commute safe and fun for all.

With all that out of the way, I've finally realized what it is that annoys me most about bicyclists on city streets. Many times have I been out driving on a reasonably wide street with light traffic and find myself behind a biker in the dead middle of the lane, making no effort to move to the side so I can safely pass, and forcing me to slow to the breakneck speed of 10-15 MPH. OK, OK, "share the road" is the mantra. Fine, then how to explain that when I do hit traffic, these same bikers are now zipping along past the traffic on the side of the road, mere feet from my passenger door?

Either you use the lanes like regular traffic because the side of the road isn't safe, or you use the side of the road to facilitate traffic flow. You can't have it both ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't disagree - the most annoying is when you are on a street where there are many stop lights so if you pass a biker and then hit a red light, they pass you and so on and so forth - it makes it very painful.

Additionally, I have run into problems with parallel parking and bikers. One bad swing they are over!

Oh well, they are saving the environment one bike at a time.